A select subcommittee of the keel boat caucus* is proposing sailing down to Picnic Island after the races on Saturday July 18 for a BBQ. If all interested sailors bring their own plates, utensils, etc, we can have COVID-careful picnic.
Boats sail away from the club before 5 pm. [weather permitting…]
We have added an intermediate level learn to sail course for young sailors. This course will include five afternoons (15 hours) of instruction on a diversity of single and double handed boats (Zest, Laser and Laser II). The course will run July 13 to 17 from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Please contact our learn to sail coordinator Jean at (jean_trottierATme.com) for more information.
Saturday June 27th we had a lively wind gusting up to 15 knots from the South West (mostly!). Five keel boats were on the start line for the first race, plus a few dinghies out to practice. Unfortunately, Dave’s tiller broke when he was doing well in the first race, so he had to retire without finishing. The rest of the fleet had a good time rounding the marks as quickly as possible:
Ensure that the number of people congregating is less than 50.
Travel with individuals within their own household and jurisdiction.
Maintain social distancing (2 metres/6 feet). Avoid all physical contact.
Maintain good handwashing and respiratory hygiene
Minimize the number of people in the dock/launching/rigging/parking areas.
Not invite visitors/guests to the facilities.
Nothing to be shared. Everything must be provided by the individual. Avoid sharing tools or equipment. If shared disinfect affected tools after use.
Avoid the common courtesy of helping others with their lines or accepting help unless there is an immediate need to avoid injury or damage. Wash hands or use sanitizer after handling someone else’s boat or lines.
Responding to an incident on or off the water (sailor in the water/other injury) may cause the responsible person to come in physical contact with the sailor. As such participants should always have gloves, masks and hand sanitizer available to protect themselves, and sailors, should contact become necessary.
When required, wear gloves that can be washed after use or put aside for several days – do not put gloves in your pocket – virus can live on surfaces up to 7 days – wash hands after taking off the gloves.
Safety Boat and Committee Boat should be sanitized after every use;
These amendments to the rules replace the ones we published last week, and may change again quite quickly, based on advice MSA gets from public health. Watch our website for changes.
In light of the Manitoba government’s announcements on Wednesday, the FYC Board understands that many of our members will be wondering what the
gradual reopening means for our club. As some of the restrictions in Manitoba begin to ease, the FYC Board is continuing to monitor the directions from the provincial government and health officials, and determine the best course of action for how and when we may proceed with
our club opening in a manner that ensures the safety of our members.
As it stands, the new orders maintain the gathering size limit of no more than 10 people at any indoor or outdoor premises, which provides us with a unique challenge. For details, of the Manitoba government’s phased in plan to support the gradual restoring of services and opening of businesses in Manitoba, see the Province of Manitoba’s official web page: Restoring safe services.
Sail Manitoba has a Board meeting via Zoom on May 6, at which the question of Sail Manitoba and its members clubs will be the primary focus. We will provide our members with an update on when and how our club opening will proceed after the Sail Manitoba Board meeting.
At this time, we are not sure how COVID-19 will affect our summer sailing season. FYC’s top priority is the health and safety of our members. We believe that exercise and outdoor activities are an important component to mental health, especially during a stressful time. The Club will follow all public health orders and recommendations.
We are monitoring the recommendations of Manitoba Health, the government of Canada, and the World Health Organization (WHO) and will keep you updated on how we might open and operate by implementing protocols that control the spread of the virus, keep us safe, and respect the health needs of permanent residents of the Whiteshell Park area. The most recent Sail Canada update urges that all member clubs close their boatyards to boat owners and sailors and suspend all activities. As we approach our opening date (May 16) we will post an update on whether, or how we can open the Club while respecting recommended protocols.
After one postponement, we got some nice weather; a fairly gentle breeze, and five boats completed all three races. It was a relatively cool day, and we were glad to be warmly dressed and sailing keelboats.
Dave/Jean finished first overall, followed very closely by Al/Penny, with Charles, Marcello and Ian following farther behind.
We had worried that the weather would require postponing the Commodore’s Cup regatta due to rain, but on Saturday morning, the sun was shining and there was no lack of wind, instead there was some concern about the strength of the wind as we rigged our boats. 11 boats completed the first race in a brisk wind, enjoying bracing reaches and gybes. By the last race, four boats finished, hanging on through some violent gusts. A big thank you to Brian K and Deb W for running the races on the water.
Commodore’s Cup Results: Craig First Sharlene Second Mat Third